Information  X 
Enter a valid email address

Sales of writing tools in decline

By BFN News | 08:00 AM | Wednesday 04 April, 2012


Total Writing Instruments (TWI) declined by 7% in volume sales, yet the sales value only declined by 2%, valuing the market at £205m in 2011. Irrespective of the value decline, the market still experienced growth across various product groups in 2011. According to GfK Retail and Technology UK, Rollerballs, the second largest Writing Instrument category, experienced a sales value growth of 4%. The product group benefited from an increase of 11% in the average selling price, thereby helping to minimize the market value�€?s declivity. The sales value growth trend continued within the product group of adhesive tapes. Despite a 2% decline in overall volume sales, GfK RT UK reported a 2% market growth in sales value due to a 4% increase in ASP. The Total Coloring market, driven by Crayons and Color Felt Pens, also grew by 1%, totaling the market value at GBP 25.3 million in 2011. The market saw an 8% decline in volume sales over the course of the year. Across the TWI market, the concurrent trend of sales value growth and volume sales decline can be attributed to customers purchasing brands, which increased the ASP across a number of different writing areas. Ballpoint Pens, the largest Writing Instrument category, saw not only volume sales decline by 1%, but also a market value decline of 5%. The Business-to-Business (B2B) channel, however, grew by 6% in sales value over this time, highlighting its current stability. This strong performance by Ballpoints in the B2B channel is highlighted further when considering the entire channel had declined by 1% for all Writing Instruments, nearing a 4% decline when excluding Ballpoint Pens. Andrew Walsh, Account Manager at GfK Retail and Technology UK commented, "Overall, the Writing Instruments market product groups have experienced some level of value decline, with pieces decline being more severe. However, this indicates that consumers are now actually spending more per piece than before, which shows that consumers are still looking for good value in the product. Customers are rationalising their purchases by buying smaller pack sizes and not necessarily going for the cheapest products on the market.�€� Story provided by StockMarketWire.com